English has de facto become the “lingua franca” of scientific research. Our network, however, includes many collections, journals, and articles written in languages other than English. We have already highlighted the diversity of our collections that cross-regional and cultural borders in previous blog posts, and today we would like to highlight those collections that cross language barriers as well.
Opening up your content to new audiences by building language bridges is easy – ScienceOpen’s platform supports multilingual content and allows users and publishers to make use of the ScienceOpen interface to create multilingual versions of their metadata incl. e.g. translated titles, keywords, abstracts, and so on.
Let’s have a look at our multilingual collections and the research fields that they cover.
Integrating bilingual publications on our discovery network
Radical Americas is an open access, peer-reviewed academic journal published by UCL Press. They explore the historical and social contexts that have underpinned radicalism in the Americas through their publications and special theme-focused editions, with publications and research available in both English and Spanish.
Their collection includes bilingual articles, and our interactive hosting interface has been tailored to Radical Americas’ needs, with a quick translation button added to the ‘Version and Review History’ panel.
This tool is one of many innovative features of ScienceOpen that help to make research more accessible and discoverable online by diverse research communities.
You are only one click away from reading your preferred publications in the language of your choice.
Bilingual metadata or fully translated publications on ScienceOpen not only help to open up the world of research to a wider audience but also furthers the dissemination of research to the global scholarly community and pave the way for the formation of international peer networks. Preprints, articles, books, and book chapters are available for review on ScienceOpen to anyone who has at least 5 published records.
Some of Radical America’s bilingual articles on Chilean history and radicalism:
- Scholarship on the Popular Unity in Chile since 2000. Are historians lagging behind?
- The permanent rebellion: An interpretation of Mapuche uprisings under Chilean colonialism
- The presence of left-wing militant women within projects of poder popular during the Popular Unity years in Concepción and Santiago de Chile, 1970–3
- Women in Chile 50 years after the UP: ‘The revolution will be feminist or nothing at all …’
- The permanent rebellion: An interpretation of Mapuche uprisings under Chilean colonialism
Research in German in the field of medicine by Hogrefe
The Hogrefe Collection on ScienceOpen is a diverse portfolio of highly regarded, peer-reviewed journals in the fields of medicine, psychology, psychiatry, and mental health published by the Hogrefe Publishing Group in German and English.
Hogrefe is one of the leading providers of scientific books and journals for learning and teaching in the above-mentioned fields in Europe. The majority of their articles are easily searchable and accessible, with titles and abstracts available in both languages.
We are highlighting below just some of the bilingual publications by Hogrefe on ScienceOpen, part of their recently added journal collection for ‘Sucht: Interdisciplinary Journal of Addiction Research’:
- Alkoholkonsum in Deutschland und Europa während der SARS-CoV-2 Pandemie / Translated title: Alcohol Use in Germany and Europe during the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic
- Replikationskrise in der präklinischen Suchtforschung und Vorschläge zur Krisenbewältigung / Translated title: Replication Crisis in Preclinical Addiction Research and Proposals for Crisis Management
- Jugendliches Alkoholkonsumverhalten während der COVID-19-Pandemie und die Bedeutung von Achtsamkeit / Translated title: Adolescence Alcohol Use Behaviours During the COVID-19 Pandemic and the Role of Mindfulness
- Prävalenz und Prädiktoren für Rauschtrinken – Querschnittsbefragung repräsentativ für Niedersachsen / Translated title: Prevalence and predictors for heavy episodic drinking – A cross-sectional representative study in Lower Saxony
- Forderungen zum Schutz vor SARS-CoV-2 im Justizvollzug / Translated title: Demands for Protection against SARS-CoV-2 in Prisons
Engaging researcher communities through dialogue across language barriers
The Bethlehem University Journal was established in 1981 to foster a culture of excellence in research and research ethics in matters pertaining not only to Palestine and the region but also to the world at large. It is part of our Pluto Journals collection and serves as a vibrant platform for research communities in the region and around the world to engage in dialogues and conversations across language barriers.
BUJ publishes original, theoretically informed articles on a variety of topics from different disciplines in both Arabic and English.
Their content is available on ScienceOpen in both languages, and within each article, you can access an abstract or short description in the language of the publication, or you can read the translated version.
- أثر برنامج تدريبي للأطفال المعاقين سمعيا من زارعي القوقعة الإلكترونية في الأردن في تنمية اللغة الاستقبالية والتعبيرية // The effect of a training program of hearing-impaired children with cochlear implants on the development of their receptive and expressive language
- الأسس الأخلاقية وعلاقتها بالأبعاد الثلاثة للتسلطية والسلوك السياسي لدى طلبة الجامعات في محافظات غزة // Moral Foundations and their Relationship to the Three Components of Authoritarianism and Political Behavior among Gaza University Students
Decolonial discourse in English, Spanish and Portugese
Decolonial Horizons / Horizontes Decoloniales is an intellectual hub for the exploration of scholarship between global politics and religious discourses. It confronts years of systemic scholarly racism by privileging frameworks generated in the networks of the Global South.
They publish studies in Spanish, English, and Portuguese that examine and question postcolonial, decolonial, and religious dynamics, with a focus on history, anthropology, philosophy, sociology, political science, cultural studies, political economy critique, religious studies, and literature.
The journal’s topics include the intersection of religion and culture, migration, territorialism, politics, and human rights, as well as the construction of the body(s), sexuality, gender, and racism. All under the purview of decolonial and postcolonial theories.
Discover some examples of their articles below:
- Queer(N)Asian Im/Migrants’ Connectedness: An Inter-Contextual Decolonial Reading of Wong Kar-Wai's Happy Together
- Inculturation and the Roman Catholic Church in Japan
- Sexualizar las fronteras: Pinkwashing y homonacionalismo en Palestina e Israel
- Dios y Marx los conceptos eurocentristas que no permiten la filosofía en África y Latinoamérica
- Diversidade e Educação: Crianças brasileiras e práticas religiosas no cotidiano das escolas públicas japonesas
- Budismo Funerário Nikkei no Brasil: Interculturalidade versus Etnicidade
Research on Parasitology in English and French
Parasite is another example of our bilingual collections. Published by EDP Sciences, this is an international open access, peer-reviewed online journal that publishes high-quality papers on all aspects of human and animal parasitology.
All papers on Parasite are published in English, but their titles, abstracts, and keywords are also available in French. Their publications cover topics like general, medical, and veterinary parasitology; morphology; parasite systematics; molecular biology and biochemistry; immunology of parasitic diseases; epidemiology; therapeutics, etc.
- Challenges of drug-resistant malaria / Translated title: Défis du paludisme resistant
- Do drowning and anoxia kill head lice? / Translated title: La noyade et l’anoxie tuent-elles les poux de tête?
- An update on Acanthamoeba keratitis: diagnosis, pathogenesis and treatment / Translated title: Mise au point sur la kératite à Acanthamoeba : diagnostic, pathogenèse et traitement
- Echinococcus multilocularis in North America: the great unknown / Translated title: Echinococcus multilocularis en Amérique du Nord : le grand inconnu
- The repellency of lemongrass oil against stable flies, tested using video tracking / Translated title: Activité répulsive de l’huile essentielle de citronnelle contre les stomoxes, testée par tracking video
Considering adding your journal on our network or interested in adding translated versions of metadata to your own publications?
ScienceOpen offers concrete methods for the promotion of your content within our researcher community. We provide publishers with the opportunity to index all their published content with rich metadata on our interactive platform, regardless of license type or research discipline, and to open it up to community curation, open reviews, recommendations, and sharing.
ScienceOpen can help you reach beyond your journal webpage, whether you would like to promote a single journal with the goal of increasing submissions or create a topical Collection around multiple journals to highlight your publisher brand.
Researchers can make use of the same functionalities and enhance their own publication by adding translated titles, abstracts, keywords, or disciplines as part of their metadata. Open up your publications to a global research community and let our platform and search engine do the rest to make it available to the world!
Don’t hesitate to contact our team if you would be interested in our publishing solutions.