The Sustainable Development Goals serve as a road map for achieving a better and more sustainable future for all. They address global issues such as poverty, inequality, climate change, environmental degradation, peace, and justice.
Our #ExploreSDGs campaign aims to promote SDG progress through scientific research, and this time we would like to highlight the research and scientific work available on the topic of sustainable and clean energy, also known as SDG7.
Join our #ExploreSDGs Twitter hashtag and let’s start discovering the impact of SDG7 research on ScienceOpen and how it is assisting in achieving this goal by 2030.
SDG7 aims to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all.
Ensure universal access to affordable, reliable, modern and renewable energy services
With a simple search in ScienceOpen for ‘renewable energy’, you can find thousands of results. You can filter publications by date, the number of citations, relevance, altmetric score, or simply be redirected to collections that contain research on these topics using our search functions. We’d like to highlight a few collections and their related publications below:
IET Power Engineering
The IET Power Engineering collection includes open access articles from the IET’s power and energy journals that cover topics in power and energy engineering. IET’s mission is to inspire, inform, and influence the global engineering community to engineer a better world by sharing knowledge that helps make better sense of the world in order to solve important challenges.
Let’s discover IET’s work towards achieving SDG7 by highlighting some research articles, books, and book chapters records:
- Wind and Solar Based Energy Systems for Communities
- Assessing the potential of surplus clean power in reducing GHG emissions in the building sector using game theory; a case study of Ontario, Canada
- Introducing low-order system frequency response modelling of a future power system with high penetration of wind power plants with frequency support capabilities
- Dynamic charging of electric vehicles integrating renewable energy: a multi-objective optimisation problem
- Optimal self-healing strategy for microgrid islanding
- Sizing of renewable energy-based hybrid system for rural electrification using grey wolf optimisation approach
African Journal of Engineering & Technology
The African Journal of Engineering & Technology (AJET) is an open-access, peer-reviewed, and multidisciplinary journal that aims to serve as a platform for researchers, professionals, and policy-makers from a variety of backgrounds to discuss and disseminate applied research in engineering and technology that addresses Africa’s sustainable development.
AJET, published by the Sudanese Researchers Foundation, aims to be a platform for research highlighting pathways for Africa’s development in alignment with the Sustainable Development Goals and Agenda2030.
- Sustainability Assessment of Gas-Fired Power Generation Pathways
- Energy and Exergy Analysis of a Steam Power Plant in Sudan
- Assessment of Sludge Sample as a Feedstock for Power Generation
- Recovery of Ionic Liquid from Aqueous Phase Pyrolytic Oil: A Simulation Using ASPEN HYSYS V10
- Sustainable development and the role of African scientific research centres
AJET is also the first journal to be hosted within ScienceOpen and to use the ScienceOpen technology for blinded peer review. We are proud to support AJET in its mission to promote more sustainable and clean energy in Africa in the future.
De Gruyter Materials Science: Energy
De Gruyter has been publishing high-quality scholarship for over 270 years. The expanding field of materials sciences is a rapidly expanding subject area in the De Gruyter portfolio, distinguished by new topics and authors. Energy has received special attention, and DeGruyter’s Energy collection on ScienceOpen includes graduate-level textbooks, a special STEM series for career beginners, traditional monographs, and a journal collection.
The De Gruyter Materials Science: Energy collection offers a lot of cutting-edge research publications, book titles, and scientific reports on energy and topics such as affordable, and modern energy systems.
- Utilization of Hydrogen for Sustainable Energy and Fuels
- Hydrogen Production and Energy Transition
- Chemistry and Energy : From Conventional to Renewable
- Power-to-Gas : Renewable Hydrogen Economy for the Energy Transition
- Energy and Sustainable Development
- Nanocarbon-Inorganic Hybrids : Next Generation Composites for Sustainable Energy Applications
- Solar Energy and Thermal Storage for CO 2 Emissions Reductions for Coal Power
- Proposed 2MW Wind Turbine for Use in Thumrait, Dhofar, Sultanate of Oman
- Photon dosimetry using selective data sampling with Particle Swarm optimization algorithm based on NaI(Tl) scintillation detector
Improve energy efficiency and enhance cooperation to facilitate access to clean energy research
SDG7 aims to double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency by 2030, improve international cooperation to facilitate access to clean energy research and technology, encourage investment in energy infrastructure and clean energy technology, expand infrastructure and upgrade technology in developing countries to provide modern and sustainable energy services to all.
The Journal of Green Building
The Journal of Green Building is an excellent example of the interdisciplinary approach that we must take in order to live in a more sustainable future and achieve Agenda2030 goals faster. The Journal of Green Building’s mission is to present the most recent peer-reviewed research in green building design, construction, engineering, and technological innovation, with the goal of living in more sustainable cities in the future.
Many titles in this journal provide insights into carbon-neutral architecture and urban planning, energy efficiency, the use of renewable energy in cities and buildings, and other topics falling und the SDG7 targets.
Let’s discover some titles:
- Towards Co2 Neutral Urban Planning: Presenting the Rotterdam Energy Approach and Planning
- Bioactive Devices as Self-Sufficient Systems for Energy Production in Architecture
- Mohawk College’s Net Zero Energy and Zero Carbon Building—A Living Lab for High Efficiency and Renewable Energy Technologies in Buildings
- Industry Perceptions of Sustainable Design and Construction Practices in Kuwait
- Urban Photovoltaic Potential of Inclined Roofing for Buildings in Heritage Centers in Equatorial Areas
Exploring SDG7 publications
AsiaChem, the official magazine of the Federation of Asian Chemical Societies (FACS), provides access to a wide range of articles on cutting-edge science advancements, history, and anything that would interest a broad readership in the chemical sciences, including topics on sustainability, energy efficiency, and energy system improvement.
- The Chemical Society of Japan: Striving for Chemical Sciences and Technology for a Sustainable Human Society
- CO2 Recycling: The Conversion of Renewable Energy into Chemical Fuels
De Gruyter Materials: Nanotechnology provides insights into recent developments in the field of nanoscience and its contributions to a more sustainable future, more efficient energy distribution systems, and the development of materials that would aid in clean and sustainable production of energy.
- Kerr optical frequency combs: theory, applications and perspectives
- Nanostructured inorganic electrochromic materials for light applications
- Integrated and spectrally selective thermal emitters enabled by layered metamaterials
- Lasing at the nanoscale: coherent emission of surface plasmons by an electrically driven nanolaser
AIAA Space Collection presents recent journal articles published in Aerospace Research Central (ARC) related to topics involving space transportation, discovery, logistics, and energy efficiency in aeronautics.
- Novel Deicing Method Based on Plasma Synthetic Jet Actuator
- Numerical Analysis of Energy Expenditure for Coflow Wall Jet Separation Control
- Computational Study of Combustor–Turbine Interactions
- Enhancing Open National Combustion Code and Application of Energy Efficient Engine Combustor
EPJ Photovoltaics by EDP Sciences publishes original, peer-reviewed papers in photovoltaic solar energy conversion, high-efficiency cells: materials for optical trapping, etc, with a focus on renewable energy.
- Analysis of the operation of PV strings at the MPP closest to the nominal MPP voltage instead of the global MPP based on measured current–voltage curves
- Loss analysis in luminescent sheet concentrators: from ideal to real system
- LID and LETID evolution of PV modules during outdoor operation and indoor tests
The Renewable Energy Super Collection is a researcher collection curated by Christoph von Friedeburg, which contains collections each bringing together research addressing the key challenges of a specific form of renewable energy, and their grid integration. This is an excellent example of how researchers can participate in and benefit from ScienceOpen by creating their own topical collection on a topic of their choosing. Join the conversation about the SDGs and contribute to the achievement of Agenda2030 goals by showcasing relevant research.
This super collection includes:
- Renewable Energy – Distribution Grid
- Renewable Energy – Geothermal
- Renewable Energy – Hydropower
- Renewable Energy – Solar
- Renewable Energy – Wind
- Renewable Energy – Geothermal
- Renewable Energy – Storage
UCL Press’ collection on SDG7
Finally, UCL Press’ collection on SDG7 topics brings together the most recent developments and research from UCL in the field of Affordable and Clean Energy.
UCL is taking the lead in responding to the challenges outlined in the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals through world-class research and teaching, as well as the way it operates as an institution.
Out of 3,271 publications, we are highlighting just a few below.
- Innovations in Sustainable Energy and Cleaner Environment
- Sustainability in Energy and Buildings: Proceedings of SEB 2019
- Whole Energy System Dynamics: Theory, Modelling and Policy
- Energy Access and Forced Migration
- Urban Sustainability Transitions
- Efficiency assessment of green technology innovation of renewable energy enterprises in China: a dynamic data envelopment analysis considering undesirable output
- Sustainability and ecological efficiency of low-carbon power system: A concentrating solar power plant in China
- Strategic storage use in a hydro-thermal power system with carbon constraints
- Optimising renewable energy integration in new housing developments with low carbon technologies
- A review on available energy saving strategies for heating, ventilation and air conditioning in underground metro stations
For more information about how UCL is supporting the SDGs, visit https://www.ucl.ac.uk/sustainable-development-goals.
Showcase your research and learn more about our services
If your research helps to achieve UN Sustainable Development Goal 7: Access to Affordable and Clean Energy, you should include the keywords “SDG 7,” “SDG7: Affordable and Clean Energy,” and/or “Sustainable Development Goals” in your article/book/chapter/conference paper/dataset, we will automatically add it to our rapidly growing collection of research outputs.
Join our #ExploreSDGs Twitter hashtag and get in touch with our team if you are a researcher or publisher interested in curating a topical collection around any of the SDGs.